Thursday, February 7, 2013

MultiMedia Canvas

Be kind... This is my first attempt at a multi media canvas. A dear friend posted this pic on FB, and I instantly feel in love with the colors, so I "begged" (not really, he was forthright with sending the jpeg when I asked, but begged sounds cool) for the jpeg so I could scrap it. I had originally thought of doing a 12x12 page, but opted to try my hand a "Finnabair" type canvas. Anna so inspires me with her art!!!



I deviated from normal practice of using house hold junk and opted to use kiddy toys as this was for a child. I have an airplane, a car, a bowling pin, lizards and dinosaurs, along with nuts, and bolts, tiny screws, drawer pull, paper flowers (all I made from paper scraps) tree twigs, a beer bottle top (had to drink it to get the top...lol), ribbons, burlap, beads, gears, beads with his initials, keys, and precious Tim Holtz wings for the sweet little cherub pictured!

The Making of...


I bought an 8x8 inch canvas, adhered tissue paper to it, scrunching it up for texture on the top and all the sides.  I left a 5x5 inch square for the picture.


I layered textured ribbons over the tissue paper, making sure to cover the sides also, as i wanted texture all around the canvas. And to make sure there was enough texture, i used my glue gun to add mored to the sides...




Instead of covering this layer in white gesso as most do, I used black gesso. The Arizona's Cardinals' Football Teams colors are black, red and tan. Black made the perfect base to build upon...


I added a label drawer pull with a dictionary definition of football as the label, adding Glossy Accents in the window to seal and highlight...


Then I just started adding all the "stuff" I bought at Party City, Dollar Store,  and Lowes,  filling in with the paper flowers I made, twigs from a grapevine wreath and the angle wings...


I covered everything with white gesso, except the sides and some of the top cuz i wanted the black gesso as a base...


I left the football off until the end. Did not know if I wanted to leave it it's natural color of brown, or paint it along with the rest of the canvas...



As you can see, I choose to paint the football... the tan color was too much so I toned it down with black paint mixed with gold Tattered Angles Spray, which I lightly kissed over the whole canvas.

I am sooo happy how this turned out and I love all the kiddy embellishments. I think my friend will be pleased with this precious pic of him and his son.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for showing the steps to your finished piece. I'm confused about the step where you cover all the placed objects with white gesso, because in the pictures following that it only vaguely shows and looks more like dry brushing for high lights. But anyway - awesome piece and very inspirational.